Tutorials

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Baby Quilt

My husband's daughter Jessica and her husband are going to have a baby girl in July!  Here is the baby quilt I just finished for our upcoming granddaughter:
 

I made half square triangle using up all of the elephant fabric and then designed the front of the quilt.  Since the elephants are directional, this ended up being the logical layout. 

And these remaining fabrics worked perfect for the back with minimal quilting to keep it soft.


 

 I found these Cloud 9 organic cotton fabrics right after we heard they found out they were having a girl.  The elephant print and polka dot are the My Happy Nursery line and the owl flannel is Forest Friends.

It crinkled up nicely after washing and drying:


All ready to bring to the hospital when baby arrives!


24 readers left a comment:

Anina said...

Ooh, fun! I love the little quilt. I haven't seen the cute elephant fabric before.

Apple Avenue Quilts said...

Very cute! How nice to be ahead of the game.

Anonymous said...

Best gift of all I say!

Barb said...

The quilt is just adorable!

Manda said...

Very cute!

Jennifer Mathis of Ellison Lane said...

Very sweet! What a great gift.

Julia said...

So sweet...perfect for a little one...congratulations!
Julia ♥

Jennie {Clover and Violet} said...

Congrats! I love the my happy nursery prints too!

Aunt Spicy said...

Adorable! And I love how you quilted it! I do like how it washed up, hopefully the one I made washes up equally as well....and that it is pleasantly soft!

Needled Mom said...

It looks wonderful and that little girl will be perfect to finish it off!!!

Kim D. said...

This is an adorable little quilt Mary! Congrats!

Dandelion Quilts said...

Those little elephants are so cute. What a sweet quilt.

amy smart said...

So sweet, Mary. Those little elephants are adorable!

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

so sweet!!! sorry to have missed you this round, boo and I never stopped all weekend... that was some crazy rain i had to drive in getting back to MPLS this morning... LIGHTENING Like crazy, couldn't see the front of my car...see ya in july!

Tatkis said...

Such a sweet quilt for a little baby-girl! I love the colors and pattern!

Best wishes,
Tatyana

Robin said...

Yay for baby quilts! So sweet. :)

Mama Spark said...

Very sweet and I love the owl binding!!

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

What a snuggly quilt for the new baby granddaughter! Everything you make is so fun!!

Sinta Renee said...

Very cute quilt for your newest addition to the family! I just love the elephants:)

Carrie P. said...

congrats to you all.
I love this quilt. It is so different from the typical blue or pink.

Purple Pam said...

Cute baby quilt. We just found out we are having a new baby boy in October! Whooppie

Michele said...

That is an adorable quilt :-) Perfect for a new baby!

Sparky said...

Mary I would never forget a quilt like this...love the colors, theme, why everything...

Nanette Merrill said...

I love it. Fresh vintage.