Tutorials

Friday, February 22, 2013

Happy Town by Jacquelynne Steves - fabric giveaway and contest

ETA: Giveaway is closed and the winners are #5 Samantha (1st prize) and #29 Amy (2nd prize). I will email both of you.

I posted HERE that I would be having a fabric giveaway to help you get started on either a Quilt For Kids Contest quilt that will be donated to Quilts For Kids or a quilt for a kid you love!

Here is the fabric you can win:

There is 1\2 yard of the yellow cats, 1\2 yard of the blue cats and a one yard panel all from Happy Town by Jacquelynne Steves for Henry Glass & Co.
The second person will win 1/2 yard of the yellow cats and 1/2 yard of the blue cats.
Remember if you go to your local quilt shop or Fat Quarter Shop to purchase Happy Town fabric for your project or to make your quilt for the contest, all royalties from the sales of this fabric line will be donated to Quilts for Kids (QuiltsForKids.org). Also, any quilts entered in the contest will be donated to hospitalized children through Quilts for Kids, and the winning quilts will be displayed at International Quilt Market in Portland, Oregon in May. The top prize is $500 cash, second prize is $250 cash, and there is a special category for quilters under age 16.
Here are the solids in the line:

Aren't these stripes and the border print striking?

Look at these double dots!

Here are the transportation vehicles:

And now for the giveaway. One comment per person and be sure to include your email address if you are a no reply blogger. Your comment must indicate how you most recently went out of your way to help another person. Comments will close on Friday February 28th at midnight wherever I happen to be and I will draw two random numbers soon after.

 

32 readers left a comment:

Missy Shay said...

We are making a quilt for a lady at our church who is going through some tough times, we are also making a pinwheel quilt for a little girl with cerebral palsy. missysaprons@gmail.com

Patty said...

I would love to make a quilt for Quilts for Kids with this fabric. I have made them for the organization before. I usually get the fabric from them and then make a second one from my stash to send.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I send a number of blocks,quilt tops, and fabrics to Sarah's group - they know where the needs are and can quickly fill them with the donations. And our quilt guild will be collecting member's children's quilts next meeting for donation to an area child's cancer ward.

beth said...

Love that cute fabric. I just sent 4 orphan block quilts to equilters quilt drive for hurricane sandy victims. I was late....but i think I made it! ;)

Needled Mom said...

Aren't the fabrics fun and cute? I am looking forward to playing with some of it myself this week.

Samantha said...

Such cute fabric! I wanted to get some to make a quilt for the contest but it isn't in my budget at the moment. The very last thing I did for someone else was I was behind a lady and her son in the checkout at the grocery store and he was going on and on about how happy he was that they were getting bananas and marshmallows. You guessed it, after it was all rung up they were short so I dug out all the cash I had (I don't carry much cash) and handed it over so the little guy could have his marshmallows and bananas. I've never seen a happier kid than he was at that moment! :D

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Such adorable fabrics! I finished a top for a friend going through tough times, and sent out a FQ to another who was down after surgery. Thanks for the fun!

http://thankfullga447 said...

I am working on my church quilts and also a quilt for Helping Hands for a child. I enjoy making quilt for those in need most of all.

Lisa England said...

Around Christmas I sent 10 children's coats to a quilt shop that was collecting things for Hurricane Sandy victims. The thank you note I got from quilter Cyndi Hershey, who delivered the donations, warmed my heart!

Betsy said...

Mary, I am volunteering three hours today at my school to help students catch up on their academics. Thank you for the chance to win this lovely fabric.

charlotte said...

I am giving sewing lessons to an 11 year old daughter of a friend who really wants to learn to quilt. Her mom doesn't sew, but she bought her a Bernette sewing machine for Christmas. Lessons begin this week.

Karrie said...

The last thing I did for someone, was hem all of my friend's pants before he goes on Spring break in CA next week.

Katie said...

These are some great fabrics and I love the charity componet of them.

I help people everyday in my line of work but recently I had a lady come into my office and she has been unemployed for quite some time. at first I was thinking that she was just another of the masses that I see everyday that is just having a hard time getting back into the workforce after a plant closure (we are a heavy textiles area and many of the jobs are now in other countires). So I am talking to her about her job skills and things that she enjoys doing to help find her soemthing that will be better suited for her going forward and I am getting short answers with not much informantion to help me be able to help her. after a little more probing I came ot find out that the lady had been in a bad relationship and that is the reason that she had been relocated -- this explained her heistance. After more reasurance I linked her to some of the public resources that I knew of for battered women and was able to call an employer that I knew to get her a job interview and talked some about the situation she was in with him -- he told me to send her down and he would talk to her. she is pending a drug test but it looks like she will be going ot work in a safe place prety soon.

Mommarock said...

Letting my neighbors dogs on Thursday and Friday even though I was prepping for surgery on Thursday, and had surgery on Friday. It was a simple surgery granted, but the prep was REALLY no fun.

Vicki H said...

I just finished up 60 rag bags for the education department at Wichita Botanical Gardens. They are having an event in June to teach children about helping the environment by reuse and recyle. For instance, that odd sock without a mate can be used as a rag to wipe up a spill or dust a shelf, the t-shirt with the holes you can't wear anymore can be used as a rag. We will be having our first sew-in March 5. We hope to have 500 rag bags made before June.

JoyceLM said...

I am working on quilts to donate to our local Meals-on-Wheels program. Thanks.

Kathryn said...

I have a friend who is long-term disability as a result of cancer. She often has doctor appointments in places several hours away. I've made myself available as her chauffeur since I can't imagine facing those drives alone.

Anonymous said...

One day, every week, I work in a secondhandstore. The work is idealistic and every money that comes in goes to charity. In March, for example, we´ll be sending a lot of clothes and food to Moldavia, a small and poor country in Europe. This is what I do to help other people.
Gun, Sweden
gun@lapp.se

Rebeckah Austin said...

I knitted a blanket and decided to give it to my dad, he is home sick with multipul health difficulties.

starquilter said...

I just fell in love with this bright fabric collection. I envision using this fabric for my community project: Quilts for kids. Thank you so much for sharing and for the chance to win.

barbara woods said...

i made blocks for the ones sewing quilts for sandy storm victims

Melinda said...

Thanks for the giveaway chance! I have a box in my car to mail tomorrow... a new curtain and books for my granddaughter. It's pretty easy to want to do something special for my grandkids!

Lori V. said...

Darling fabric! Love another reason to sew. Just flew my baby sister down to Texas to see her new grandbaby!

Kristy said...

Thank you for the giveaway! Love this adorable collection and the heart behind it. :)

I'm currently sewing some g-tube pads for a lil' fella. These little pads help keep the skin around his g-tube dry and less irritated. He loves Elmo, so there was a special trip to the fabric store just to find some fabric with his favorite friend! :) Can't wait to get them in the mail.

Diana said...

So enjoy your blog, near new fabric. A neighbor had a death in his family so cooked them a dinner to just pop in the oven. I know they had more things to worry about than dinner.
Thanks for the giveaway.

Sowing Stitches said...

Adorable fabrics! Looks like they jumped right out of a child's imagination! :) Most recently went out of my way to help another person by providing room and board for almost 3 weeks for a very homesick exchange student that didn't have the airfare to go home for Christmas.[Housing for the students was not provided over their Christmas break.] sowingstitches[at]gmail[dot]com

WoolenSails said...

That is such cute fabric and perfect for charity quilts to put a smile on a child's face. I didn't enter the contest, but I have been working on some quilts that are going to the orphanage in Africa and as I get better with my quilting, I want to do more for kids in shelters and project linus.

Debbie

Judy B said...

I am making place mats for a youth care home. The fabric would be perfect!

Cecilia said...

I recently gave a young quilter fabric from my stash to make a baby quilt for a friend of hers. I already make quilts for Project Linus, but will have to start making some for Quilts for Kids too. Thanks for the giveaway.

Amy said...

I try to help some elderly people I know. Just shoveled their snow, today. Thanks for the giveaway, the fabrics are just adorable and what a great cause!

hennies.pennies said...

I've been sewing comfort bears and lap quilts for our local Hospice Center; our ladies' group at Church has taken this on as our ministry. Be especially blessed, Kathy

barb said...

Myast quilt was for a 7 year old with cancer. I piece and quilt by hand and have given away over 200 quilts to church raffles, cancer awarness and the neonatal intensive care at our local hospital. babscorbitt@gmail.com