Tutorials

Friday, April 29, 2011

The sewing I finished while my computer was in the hospital.

Our guild held this month's meeting at a quilt shop, then ordered lunch and had an optional class.  It was for a bag, so of course I stayed.

It is the "Steel Ball Frame Purse" pattern by Quilt Plus using the Steel Ball frame handle from Hobby & Land.
The handle is removable so you can make multiple bags and use the same handle. It takes three fat quarters and that is exactly what I had from Amy Butler's Love line.  (That's the lake in the background in this photo.)

It opens nice and big and I added a pocket:
+++++++

Here is my finished Something From Nothing Mini:
...a closeup



...and a few full shots.  It's ready to be sent off to my secret partner tomorrow.

+++++
And today I finished two each of the last two months BOM from FQS:

I love all the blocks but especially the baskets designed by Anne Sutton of Bunny Hill Designs.

37 readers left a comment:

Needled Mom said...

Love the cute bag and the block looks fabulous with the stitching on it.

Your BOM is really coming along nicely. It is fun to see what each block turns out to be.

Lana said...

wow! you have been busy! I really loved the hand stitching on the one item...you do such lovely work! Be PROUD OF YOURSELF!

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Love the bag and the stitching on your mini quilt. I haven't worked on the BOM for a while. I'm really behind....

Anonymous said...

Cute bag! Looks like some busy stuff going on at yours. Those BOM blocks make me wish I'd jumped in on that one!

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

Well look who has been very busy! I love that bag and the cute "kiss lock".. and the something from nothing is really something!!!!

Pat

Karen H said...

wow, Mary! The bag is awesome, and I love the way the "something from nothing" turned out. The embroidery adds so much!

Erin @ Why Not Sew? Quilts said...

Very nice Mary! I love the stitching on the mini.

Pat from Florida said...

The stitching on your block really adds to it. I love the bag. Very nice fabric! And those baskets, super.

Toni said...

What a great purse! I love it!!

And are you doing 2 sets of the 12 Days of Christmas? I'm behind 2 months as well, need to work on mine this weekend!

I hope your computer is all happy now. Have a nice weekend!

Apple Avenue Quilts said...

Wow you were busy! I love your new bag. That is a very cool handle. I love your embroidery on the mini and your blocks are lovely!

Betsy said...

Mary, I too have that purse kit.
Hopefully I will get to it this summer. Yours is adorable.

Julia said...

Love your bag Mary...what a great idea for that handle.
Being able to use it on other bags is a great bonus..handles can be quite expensive..
Gorgeous baskets too.
Julia ♥

karen @ badlandsquilts said...

Your something from nothing looks FABULOUS! Your stitching is the perfect accent!

Suzanne said...

Lots of beautiful creations, but I have to admit your "something from nothing" speaks to me!

Beth@seasonsofhome said...

What an awesome quilt block.

Megan said...

I need to learn that hand stitch on your mini - it's awesome, and such a perfect touch. You've been so productive! I often wonder how much more I'd accomplish without checking the web constantly!

Manda said...

You've been busy! The stitching on the single block looks fantastic!

Abby and Stephanie said...

Pretty bag, awesome mini, sweet baskets.

Mary said...

Cute bag! I love that Amy Butler fabic! The mini quilt turned out great. It reminds me of a crazy quilt with the stitching!

Michele said...

What a cute bag....great fabrics and it sounds like you had a lovely time! Your block looks amazing.....the stitching really makes it pop :-)

Regina said...

Love all of those. Was the bag hard to make? The handle intimidates me.

Karen said...

Great bag...love the handle! Your blocks are really nice, especially the one with solids and hand embroidery! Great job!

Talin's Corner said...

Cute bag, I wish we had Hobby & Land around here. I can never find those types of handles.

Lynn Koeppen said...

Wow! You have been busy! I love that bag, and the stitching you did on the modern quilt is great!

Sherri said...

Love the purse, love the mini quilt...and the blocks are great...can't wait to get to mine...Anne's basket block is so cute!

Kim D. said...

Cute bag and your stitching is very nice on your mini quilt. I agree those baskets are sweet. That's going to be one gorgeous quilt.

Mama Spark said...

Oh dear. Now you are ahead of me in the BOM!! I will have to get my butt in gear today and play catch up!!

deb said...

do ya think I could get that much done if I throw my computer out the window??? GOOD JOB!!!!

M and M plus 3 said...

Look at you go girl, cute bag and blocks, all 3 of them. You've been super busy! The raspberry color fabric on the bag is sweet!

Purple Pam said...

That is a darling bag. It is great that you can use the handles on other bags.

What fun FQS blocks. I like that basket block of Anne Sutton's, too.

Amelia said...

Wow, you've been busy Mary!! I love everything you've been working on. Every time I see your Christmas BOM's I regret not joining in ... it's going to look fantastic :)

Bumblebee and Sophie said...

i love the Monkey in your banner, so cute!!

Amy DeCesare said...

Great job...all of the projects are really pretty, but that purse is spectacular!

Kelly O. said...

your mini looks terrific with the embroidery!

Jennifer Mathis of Ellison Lane said...

Oh I just love that hand stitching!

Carrie P. said...

Oh, my goodness, I just love your mini quilt. The hand stitching is so great. Well done.
cute bag.

Doris said...

I'm glad it was your machine in the hospital and not you! ;-)

See you soon....two months, and a few days....