Friday, November 9, 2012

Sewing With Minky

I won three pieces of minky fabric from Amy Schimler's Fly Away line.  I squeaked out a shirt and a pant out of two of them for Audrey, but she left with them before I got photo.

I then made some minor adjustments and made a shirt out of the third piece.

Audrey loves these clothes because they are so soft.  I didn't have any ribbing that matched so I used the stretch of the fabric for the neck band and cuffs.  A serger is very handy but not necessary. I used the stretch stitch on my regular machine for applying the neck band and then serged it and stitched down the seam allowance with a double needle on my regular machine.  I used this also to hem the bottom and for the seam on the cuffs.
As for sewing with minky, it's messy (fuzz everywhere) and slippery, but I made this second shirt in less than two hours.

I'm linking up to Finish it up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts!

10 readers left a comment:

Createology said...

I love the softness of Minky fabric. Your little top is very cute. I agree about the mess of the lint and fluff but the results are soooo soft. Blissful Sewing...

Mama Pea said...

I would love that, too. I bet it is super soft and snuggly. Love the effect of the double needle!

badlandsquilts said...

Very cute!

QuiltSue said...

That looks so cute. I'm thinking we all need a top like that for those days when we're feeling under the weather with a cold.

Nicole said...

I have never sewn with Minky, but you have given me some great ideas!

Needled Mom said...

I'll bet it feels fantastic too. Very cute.

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Love it! I'm sure it's super warm and cuddly soft.

Nanette Merrill said...

It is darling. I'm sure she looks super sweet in it. I 've wondered about construction with minky.

Michele said...

It's so cute! I'm sure she'll love it! I use Minkee on the backs of quilts sometimes and I've used if for some stuffed bears too. Clothes made with Minkee would be so comfy :-)

Madame Samm said...

Hi Mary, let me know when you are up ok...YOU are in the hop ?