Tutorials

Thursday, February 27, 2014

More Small Projects

I made a pillow to decorate my daughter's baby nursery and it matches this quilt she will display on the wall:
 
I quilted it in concentric squares starting in the center every 1/2 inch.  Along with this I made two crib sheets, a crib skirt, a cradle sheet, a boppy pillow cover, window valance and closet curtain.  You don't need to see all of those, but the fabric co-ordinates with the quilt and pillow.
 
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 
I made this For Kicks Patchwork Ball for a friend's new baby boy. 
This is from the book Seam To Me by Anna Maria Horner.  I made this for Audrey a few years ago using all different polka dot  fabric.
 
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 
Here is the block for Carla in the Mid Century Modern Quilt Bee.  Her month is February and she asked for another "juicy fruit" churn dash combo.  The block finishes at 12".
 

I can't wait to see this finished quilt.


23 readers left a comment:

Shelley said...

Oh Mary, love the owl and the quilting choice is just perfect:) How much of pain in the you know what was it to make the hexagon ball? I was going to make one but thought it might be a bit tricky when it came to the stuffing part to get the ball round. Yours turned out perfect:)

Vroomans' Quilts said...

What a cute pillow and the set must look marvelous. I've done the balls with the 'mellon' shaped and they are tricky - this must take a lot of work, but very sweet.

Terry said...

What a sweet pillow! And I love that ball! :0)

Anita said...

Love the pillow, such cute fabric! The ball and blocks are great too :)

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Awesomeness, Mary. Love the matching pillow and that ball is really fun. :)

mary truax said...

Wonderful, Mary! I would love to see the finished nursery if you wish to share. You have been having fun with hexies! The ball would be equally fabulous in the bright fabrics from your previous post.

Susan said...

I think we'd all like to see the complete nursery- it sounds adorable!

Kim said...

The pillow and ball is so cute! Love your modern churn dash blocks.

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Such wonderful work-woman-ship as always Mary. I've never made one of those balls but they look like so much fun.

Love the juicy fruit blocks....a fun association as well.

Smiles,
Kelly

Createology said...

Fabulous fun pillow and baby ball. The nursery must be adorable. Creative Stitching Bliss...

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

You are one busy grandma. How very special to make all the nursery items for your daughter. Love Carla's block too.

Needled Mom said...

You are having fun preparing for this new little grandbaby!!! Your pillow is so sweet.

I like that hexie ball too.

Barb said...

I would love to see the whole nursery, must be adorable.

Mary said...

Fantastic pillow and it will look lovely with the quilt! And I love those patchwork balls! Your churn dash blocks are fabulous! I love all the solid white!

Julia said...

Wow Mary, I love the pillow and the ball.
The nursery is going to look amazing and fun, all made with love for the little grand baby...

Julia said...

Wow Mary, I love the pillow and the ball.
The nursery is going to look amazing and fun, all made with love for the little grand baby...

Rene' said...

Was that ball hard to make? It's so cute! Love the soft colors in the baby pillow too. My churn dash blocks are going in the mail today....last minute once again!

Karen said...

The pillow is a great idea and looks lovely. Wonderful t have matching sheet sets, too.
The ball looks great. Was it hard to make?
And I really like the churn dash blocks in these colours!

Canadian Abroad said...

That cushion is gorgeous. Bet the nursery is amazing!

OPQuilt said...

Mary--these are lovely finishes. I especially love the pillow with its tender baby colors (I'm a sucker for these hues) and its perfect quilting. How lovely to have this in the nursery!

Fun to see all the other finishes, too!

Elizabeth

barbara woods said...

Thank you for my win , My email is tjwbewatcharterdotnet

Tatkis said...

What a sweet lovely owl pillow! The ball is very cute!

Hugs,
Tatyana

FlourishingPalms said...

The baby pillow you made is really pretty. So many things you sewed for this new one! I have made numerous hexagon balls, like the one you showed. But I used the book Patchwork Puzzle Balls by Jinny Beyer. Did you sew yours by hand too, as I did?