Tutorials

Sunday, September 18, 2011

I did it!

Yes, I finished my daughter's authentic Dirndl costume for her trip to 
Oktoberfest in Munich Germany!!
 And from the back:
(of course I had to braid her hair for photos!)



Hard to see, but there are medallions where the cord lace through.
 

Below is a closeup of the pocket.  Amber beaded and embroidered it and it turned out so cute.  It's rather hard to see in the photo, but the white seed beads are the outline of the state of Minnesota, and the silver embroidery says Minneapolis Minnesota USA!
 

 Here she tried it with knee highs rather than tights.

The pattern is Wiesn Dirndl #6038 by BurdaStyle.

Her and her husband leave Friday for fifteen days including stops in Amsterdam, Prague, Innsbruck and Rome.

Save travels sweetie!

25 readers left a comment:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Gorgeous work - love the addition of the state - in beads no less! Oh, what fun - safe journey.

Jocelyn said...

Congratulations Mary! You did a great job!!

Brooke said...

Super Sweet!

I majored in German in college (LOVE that culture!) and grew up in Bloomington, Minnesota. I always love finding little connections with bloggers who I enjoy reading.

Your daughter looks fantastic. What a pretty girl, and the outfit is grand.

paulette said...

How cute is she!! You did a wonderful job on her costume!! Such a gorgeous girl...a chip off the ol' block!
P

Purple Pam said...

Your last embroidery block is darling. The drindl is great. What a wonderful grandma you are.

P.S. Ben's pictures are so cute!

Purple Pam said...

Oops, I should have written "daughter's dirndl". But you are still a wonderful grandma (and a great mom, too).

Grammasheri said...

Great outfit! (Cute daughter, too!) I love the fabrics and the beading.

Editfolt said...

Was a very nice dress. I was in Amsterdam last year. Excellent! Bon Voyage!

RobynLouise said...

Excellent job on the sewing and the beadwork is terrific :)!

Betsy said...

Beautiful. She will have a blast!

Janet said...

The costume looks fantastic Mary. I could see the map straight away. The knee highs look cute.

MB in MI said...

Beautiful!! Hope she has a wonderful time.

Kate said...

Awesome costume - you did a great job on it! I love the state embroidery.

Julie said...

I hav ebeen to Oktoberfest in Munich much fun to be had and lots of oompa music... she might not want to ride the rides in the skirt though :)

Terrie Sandelin said...

What a great job -- and your daughter just looks so lovely wearing it!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Oh Mary, You rock!!!

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Super super job, Mary!!

Alli said...

Great job! I vote for the knee socks. :)

Darlene said...

Wow, Mary it's fabulous. Your daughter and her hubby are going to have a blast. Wishing them safe travels.

Grethe said...

Nice reading your blog! Lovely Dirndl for your daughter,she must be very pleased! Love your birdie,I am that one behind,but planning to be ready by next first:-)

Nanette Merrill said...

Super cute, both costume and daughter!!

Kathryn D. Duke said...

great job Mom!!! really like the pocket with the cleaver little Minnesota embroidered/beaded on it...

Michele said...

You did a wonderful job! I'm sure she is thrilled :-) How fun for her to have a dress like that and a mom that can make it happen :-)

Carrie P. said...

Great job, Mary, I like the bodice fabric.

Mama Pea said...

It turned out just great. What a lot of work that must have been! I think I like it with the knee highs. Looks very German that way!