Tutorials

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Neptune...

I've been hanging on to a honey bun of Neptune by Tula Pink and decided to use it this week.  I liked the idea of Camille's Mini Jelly Filled from her Pint Size pattern and started cutting.

Edit: 8/30/10

This is my completed challenge for Amy's Creative Side One Thing One Week Challenge.


Here's where I'm at:
I want to make a wall hanging and left the coral strips out - I didn't think they fit in this project:
But now I need your help.  What should I do for a border?  I can't find any Neptune, so I'll have to do something else.  A small white (one inch) and then a three inch navy? Please help.

+++

This week I also finished two of the wreaths for Block Three of the Mystery BOM using Twelve Days of Christmas:

47 readers left a comment:

Dandelion Quilts said...

This is pretty...turned out great. :) Your idea for a border sounds good. Maybe you don't even need a border???

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

I like the idea of a solid for the binding. A border of white does not seem necessary. I like it just the way it is....but not I've said that...you could put a white border on it and it might look excellent....so even though I have an opinion....it may not be just the ticket...little help I am ay? :)

Smiles,
Kelly

Sherri said...

I like your border idea...or maybe just a navy binding? I have a charm pack of this line I've been saving too...wish I had some yardage to go with it! Aren't these FQS blocks great!

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

I like your border idea, too! That would frame it nicely. Beautiful fabric:)
The wreaths are really cute!

Marge said...

Not white, maybe navy and the green? I really like the fabrics you used.

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Love your border idea. I think that will really make everything pop in the quilt. And I like how you kept out the corals. I would have tried to make it all "fit" instead of leaving them out. I'll have to try that next time. I like the pattern too.

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Hmmm, I love it just as it is, with a navy binding! Either way it will be great, i just love it!!

Barb said...

You have been so busy...busy...busy...

Love it all!!!

Anya said...

How about just a narrow white flange and then a small navy border? Oh, and a bias stripe binding? And a polka dot backing?

Purple Pam said...

That is a nice design. What are you going to do with the coral strips?

Yvette said...

I love your mystery quilt blocks. Makes me wish I would have joined this one.

A nice binding will finish that quilt nicely. I love the colors.

Fabric Fanatic said...

I vote for a small turquoise one and larger navy border.

Apple Avenue Quilts said...

I really like this quilt. I think it looks great without a border but if you need more size I'm with Fabric Fanatic...a small turquoise one and a larger navy one.

Janet said...

If you can't find anything to match the colours, the white or is it off white? would look good. Lovely quilt!

julia said...

Hi Mary!
I LOVE your Neptune quilttop...unfortunately my love for this collection came too late to get some of these (I would have loved to own a Layer Cake...well, that's life).
What about a navy narrow containment border and then add one of these Neptune prints I found via quiltshops.com (the lifesaver rings or the anchors):

http://search.myquiltshops.com/cgi-server/quiltshops/nph-myqssearch.cgi?thumbnails=

Abby and Stephanie said...

http://search.myquiltshops.com/cgi-server/quiltshops/nph-myqssearch.cgi?thumbnails=

I hope you don't mine I left a link where some Neptune can be found. Love the colors and pattern choice.

Betty said...

I made a quilt using Neptune Honey Buns:
http://www.modabakeshop.com/2010/03/cobblestone-road-quilt-and-pebbles-doll.html
Found backing using quiltshops.com Enter "Neptune" and there are several shops that still have it.
Betty in Virginia

Betty said...

Mary, love your Neptune quilt, too!
Those pinks look so nice separately...you might have enough for a doll quilt. I've got some of the "anchors" with white background left if you can use it.
Betty in Virginia

Millie said...

Mary, I love your moda fabrics and the quilt turned out gorgeous. Can't wait to see what you are going to use for the binding.

Suburban Stitcher said...

Looks so fantastic! yep, that neptune is nearly impossible to find now!

Kim D. said...

Beautiful Mary!! I would go with the navy, but the white might really make it pop. I'm sure you'll know when you lay it out, or maybe share photo's with us. Can't wait to see it completed.

Kim Brackett said...

This looks so different without the coral fabrics. I really love it!

John'aLee said...

What adorable blocks!!

Sammy said...

That is beautiful.
Simply lovely.

Love,

-Samya :-)

Gina said...

I'm with you for the border. I think the Navy and white will look great. I'm glad you left out the corals they don't look as though they would go with those other fabrics at all.

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Mama Spark said...

I wouldn't even bother with a border, but if you must your idea of navy and white should look great!

CJ said...

What pattern did you use for the Neptune quilt?? Is it Jelly Filled?? Just wondering because I am going to be using that soon for a quilt using Fandango. Yours is beautiful! I love that line of fabric.

Betsy said...

Great border idea but I know that whatever you decide will be great!

Robin said...

What a great top! Do you need a border? I think it will look great without one. But if you do need one, I love the idea of navy, but the white might be a little too bright compared to everything else. I'd lean toward a narrow one of one of the green shades instead.

Carrie P. said...

I think you have a good idea for the borders. Hope it works out for you.
Cute wreath blocks.

Nanette Merrill said...

Mary! You are good.

Marci Girl said...

Oh this quilt is nice, I kinda agree with others, does it need a border? If you do, you idea was good too! Congrats on getting it together!

Nat Palaskas said...

I like Janet suggestion with the off white too - Love the design and color - Hugs Nat

Unknown said...

Love your Neptune top! So cute! I would do a green or blue from the line, in a solid of course...Have you decided yet?

Doris said...

Mary, Bear Patch Quilting had Neptune on their sale rack last month when I was there...might be worth a call or a drive to the cities....

trish said...

Oh my! I love your quilt! I think the white trim would be beautiful! I can hardly wait to see what you decide. :o)
Sincerely ~ Tricia

Vicki ♥ said...

Hi Mary.....I am going to go with using Kei Honeycomb green background with white dots for your border :)

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

I think a border just in navy blue would be fine. If you do a thin border, though, it should be the green color, then the navy blue for the outer border and as the "frame". That's just my thought, but I've seen enough of your quilts to know that whatever you do will be great!

mascanlon said...

Try a very narrow white, then a little wider navy and then a wider white...I'd bind in that yummy green. Oh and I'd use the melons to make some fabulous potholders, that way you'd enjoy them often or they'd make a fabulous gift for a friend around the holidays. (see natalie at beyond the reef)

Faith said...

oooo wowsa,,, I love your Joseph coat idea and what you are thinking of doing in your current project. i would use square or rectangular blocks all round the edge. What ever you do it would still look fabulous.

Amanda Jean said...

i think the shakopee shop may have some neptune fabric left, too. we should meet there and check it out! :)

Anna said...

love the neptune! I have to get my hands on some. :)

Natalia from Piece N Quilt said...

I love the quilt made in Neptune! So dang cute!!!! Thanks for joining Talkin Tuesdays last night! It was fun to chat with you! :)

Unknown said...

I love the colors of Neptune! Just beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I just discovered your blog - and it's wonderful! I love, love, love your quilts - I feel so inspired to get in my work room now and DO something! Where is Lake Pulaski? I used to live in Shoreview, MN many moons ago - it's a beautiful place with great people! xo, Nan

Hanne said...

What a lovely quilt top Mary :-)

Unknown said...

My suggestion would be to use the navy fabric as a border and use the same for the binding. It would look like it has bee framed.