Tutorials

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Essex Linen/Cotton HST's

These were left over pieces from another project and I decided to make them into HST's. They each ended up being 4 inch blocks finished so it is 40" X 48".

I sewed them together as they came out of of the bag. I originally thought to sort them, but that didn't work. Should I put a border on it before I quilt it?

 

22 readers left a comment:

Suburban Stitcher said...

I think it looks kinda cool. If you do a border, it will be a more usable size?

Bev said...

Wow, that looks amazing! I like it without the border but it never fails that when I answer a question like this, the majority goes the other way. Great looking quilt!

Cheery wave!

Bev

Abby and Stephanie said...

I love it. Terrific colors. I say no border. It'll look fabulous with just the binding.

Missy Shay said...

That looks great, I think it depends on what size you want it, it would look great both ways!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Lovely use of scraps that are so pretty. I would normally not border a quilt of this style, but it depends on the size you are going for.

Leslie said...

I think it would look good either with or without a border. I think it depends on the finished size you want it to be and what you are going to use it for.

Carla said...

How fun! I love the fact that you just pulled the blocks w/o thought. Do the same thing with the border and leave it as it is for a wonderful modern look!

Carla said...

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. It's wonderful the way it is.

Gmama Jane said...

I have to vote for having a border but a very thin/narrow border, solid fabric, just enough to give it a frame. I like the randomness of your HST blocks. But I do think a border will give it more definition and a place for the eyes to rest. That's my story and I'm sticking to it..LOL!
Blessings
Gmama Jane

Susan said...

I love it the way it is!

Susan said...

I love it and think it would look nice with or without a border...I guess I would let what it will be used for to determine the borders.

Needled Mom said...

It looks fabulous. I rather like the look of quilts without borders.

John'aLee said...

Oh I love when things are put together like this! Those colors are fab!

Michele said...

I like it with no border, but I'm been liking quilts with no borders lately. I'm sure a border would look nice too. It's lovely, by the way :-)

deb said...

I love these colors!!!

Carrie P. said...

I like it without borders. Modern quilts don't need borders and it looks very modern to me.

Janet said...

It would look great with or without borders. What did the quilt say?

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Such a nice calming color palette. And isn't it fun to make a second project from the leftovers?

mascanlon said...

I vote no border...or at most a tiny little thing so these float. Oh thiscould be cool...If you want it larger use these like in the lower right quadrant on a solid background. ( I have been watching all the fun today on IG...can ya tell?)

slkunze said...

I think "no border" is more contemporary than bordered. How about a half-inch binding in one of the acid greens?

Nanette Merrill said...

Modern seems ok without borders.

Mama Pea said...

Love it! I say no borders. The binding will frame it well enough. :-)

Okay, I'm going to inundate you with comments now as I catch up on your blog. Sorry!