The Red White and Blue Blog Hop !!!!!!!!!!
And I'm first!!
My block is called Formal Garden and you will need three different fabrics:
For: Cut: Need: Size:
a. 4 squares 8 half square triangles 4 7/8"
b. 4 squares 8 half square triangles 4 7/8"
c. 1 square 1 4 1/2"
For my block, I chose blue and white for a. and b. Cut your squares from blue and white 4 7/8". I cut one 4 1/2" square from the red.
Place one of each blue and white block right sides together, draw a diagonal line on the wrong side of the white one and sew a scant 1/4" on each side of the drawn line. Cut on the drawn line creating eight half square triangles of blue and white. Piece as shown in the completed block with the red in the center:
I added a light weight batting and muslin backing, basted, hand quilted and then added binding.
The finished block is twelve inches square.
If you are interested in winning this little Red, White and Blue mini quilt, tell me about your Fourth of July plans or what you did and I will draw a name when I return from my retreat late on Sunday July 8th and send it off to you!
+++++++++
Now go see the other people who are on the Red, White and Blue blog hop today and see what block they made:
July 1st
Thanks for stopping by and checking out my blog.

142 readers left a comment:
Thank you for the tutorial on how to make this lovely block and for offering the generous giveaway.
This is adorable, thanks for the instructions and chance to win! :) This year my fourth of July plans are to just hang out with the family. Possibly a cookout...but we still haven't decided! LOL*
Thank you for the tutorial. That is a beautiful mini. For the 4th we will have a cook out with friends and then see the fireworks. Very traditional, but still fun.
Cute block and I love the fabric. I plan to have a BBQ with the family.
Beautiful! On the 4th , my whole extended family gathers at our camp on the lake...plenty of good food and fun times!
Great tutorial and lovely stitching!
Looking forward to hearing about your retreat!
Happy Independence Day!
Great little block. This fourth web by and I will BBQ and I will spend the day catching up on some quilting in my studio
Sweet block! Our plans are an old fashioned family cookout followed by the fireworks in town.
What a very nice little quilt you made! Love it!!!
The morning of July 4th, I will most likely wake up with with two granddaughters hopping into bed with me... I'll be babysitting while their parents have a night out to celebrate their anniversary on the 3rd.
The girls and I will have a Grandma Adventure (you never know what Grandma is going to come up with new and different to do)! After the parents come home and we get a little visit in, I'll head home and meet a friend for a Revolutionary Burger at The Squire's Pub.
In the evening, I'll sit on the front porch and watch the fireworks light up the sky!
Beautiful block! My 4th plans are revolving around whether we get our power back after a huge storm...thanks for your generous giveaway, glad to be hopping with you :)
Very cute block! Thanks for the chance to win too.. I think I just stay at home since we don't celebrate 4th of July.
Great tutorial and what a sweet little mini! No big plans this year for the 4th.....yet.
Thanks for the tutorial. My plans are to quilt. Nothing special otherwise. It is supposed to be 96F, so any activities outside are out of question. Looking forward to a day off with a sewing machine.
Pretty, pretty. Our 4th will be very low key especially since my kidlets are young and they don't like all the noise from the fireworks. We have planned steaks on the grill, corn on the cob, a nice green salad, roasted veggies and brownies with ice cream for dessert. Yummo!
The red white and blue colors is me. Just love this - I am making a flag banner for 4th of July, will have house guests.
I love your block! I haven't made this one yet! I'm going to have to try it!! I'm celebrating Canada Day today with my family. We will have a barbecue, go down town to see the festivities and then watch the fireworks. It should be a fun day!!
My plans are to go see the fireworks in Arlington, TX.
Oh so cute! And you hand quilted it--nice! I'm hoping to hang out with my grandsons and watch their excitement at all the illegal fireworks that will be booming around our neighborhood. LOL!
Adorable Mini!! Thank You for the Instructions too! On the 4th we will be hanging out a home and then going to friends for a BBQ in the late afternoon. I hope your plans are fun ones too!!
Huggs,Nancy
Love your sweet block...expecially the fabric! We have not made plans because of the heat, my husband might have to work that day since he has to keep the AC running for so many big buildings. But I am sure we will at least take in a movie and watch the fireworks on the lake. Enjoy your retreat!
Thanks for the tutorial. I love your block. would love to win.
We are going to bar-b-que and then watch the fireworks from our porch. They have them over the lake.
Nicely done tutorial. Love when you can use a single block to make a project. Thank you for sharing. I am just staying home - sewing away. Enjoy your retreat.
Your block is fun and vibrant.
My family and I are heading up to our cottage for the 4th. The kids love the lake and the fireworks. I love that they have something to do and aren't telling me 100 times a day that they are "Soooo...bored".
Thanks for the giveaway.
Happy Independence Day!
great little block and I really like the way you matched your quilting thread to the fabric!!
Our July 4th plans...hmmmm
we will either stay in Kinston and go watch fire works OR go to my sister's in "Little Washington" and attend her church picnic....not sure til our weather cools abit which.
Hope yours is festive and so thankful America is free...
Kathy
Thanks for the tutorial. Great block.
Great block! Thanks for sharing!
Lovely block! Plans are to eat at our favorite catfish restaurant and then watch fireworks on the lake.
Thanks for that cute tute & the chance to win your little quilt!
We are planning to take the truck over to the mall to enjoy the fireworks with about a zillion other people! Usually we stay away from crowds, but this is one time we make an exception!
Thanks for the tutorial. Love your block. Thanks for the great giveaway.
I love the fabric used on this block...so pretty and thanks for the tut and the giveaway....we are going to a family get together on 7/4...should be alot of fun....
Watch granddaughter run a 5K, be in the parade, and hopefully go to the mountains for some cooler weather. Thanks.
Love this block and the fabric! We always go to my hubs mom and dad's house. They live in a small town and a parade passes right by their home. Our daughters, grandchildren, cousins, aunts, uncles and friends all hang in their beautiful lawn, eat and enjoy each others company!
Happy Hop Day Mary! You started us off with a beauty! Great tut. and such a nice giveaway. Enjoy your retreat.
Dang cute...and love those stitches!! Thanks for the tut!
P
Very nice! Great job on being first. Way to kick off a fun 2 weeks!
I need a potholder for an exchange at our August meeting. I may use this pattern. Thanks for the pattern and a chance to win.
We always go to our local town event. It is called the 4th at the Pond. We are a very small farming community and we hold a hymn sing and have entertainment from about 8til dusk. We also have a pig roast and pie/icecream social. Then we have fireworks. Everyone brings a lawn chair and we sit and visi and sing. It is a ton of fun .
How fun that you are one of the first ones! I love it- your block is as sweet as can be!
Love red, who're, and blue. I'll be working on my celebration of freedom quilt that I started two years ago on July 4th.
Love the quilt - great tutorial too - thanks for sharing.
Love your block...adorable! The holidays are all about family!
Hey Mary! I love your block...thanks so much for sharing the turorial on how to make it. I'll definitely be giving it a go!
My town always has a huge fireworks display in our local park. Luckily, my father-in-law lives just outside the park and we can see the fireworks from his house, thus avoiding all the crowds. The whole family usually comes over to his house and we grill out, play corn hole or horseshoes, and then at 10:00, we all sit in lawn chairs in the front yard and watch the show. It's a yearly tradition and we always have a great time. Hope you're having a great time on your retreat, too!
XOXO,
Cyndi
Mary! Wonderful job!! Honestly, I see your hand quilting and you've almost ... almost inspired me to give it a try :) Love your block!!
I am going to make this to go with my table runner. Beautiful Block! I hope to see fireworks since we are having all this rain in Texas. Thank you for sharing....Judith, Texas
What a cute block! I love it!! Our plans for the 4th are to celebrate in our little town....we have a big celebration each year, but we are new to this town and have a little one who is almost 2--so she will have her first "real" 4th of July...we are excited to see her response to all the fun!!
My Grand daughter is 7 years old and I've only seen her about 5 times. Well we are lucky enough to have her stay with us for the summer. She is such a joy. We plan on going to see fireworks on the 4th. Love your block.
I'll be celebrating in Downtown Jefferson City, MO.
As I am a Canadian we are having our celebration today-our Canada Day, attending festivals, etc but hope everyone in the USA have the best holiday ever on the 4th!
We are going to a friends for a BBQ and fireworks, good food and friendship.
Mary I love your block! Thank goodness my day isn't until the 9th because I'm no where near ready. :) We got a few days off from the mission for the fourth so I'm at home until Thursday. My son and his family were here when we got here, as well as my husband's nephew and his family. Tonight one of my daughters and her family will be here for supper. Oh. My. Goodness. :) Right now I'm hibernating in my bedroom (but have the dishwasher, washer and dryer going!). And on the fourth itself my granddaughter will be having her 11th birthday so it will be a cake and ice cream day. I bet by the time Thursday gets here I'll be ready to go back to the mission! blessings, marlene
Love this little block. It says "happy" to me. Thanks for the tut. Today is Canada Day up here. On your 4th, I will be working. Enjoy.
Enjoy your retreat and thanks for your rwb block...
You put a lot of thought into your pinwheel...lovely it is
Very cute!! We always get together as a family to celebrate our freedom on Independence Day. This year will be different as our older daughter is doing missions work in Costa Rica. Thanks for the great tutorial!!
Hi Mary lovely block, they remind me of windmills I used to have as a little girl. Thanks for sharing. Susie x
Thanks for the cute block! I love the 4th of July and love to decorate with my red, white and blue quilts. We are having a huge family picnic and swim party!
My plans are on hold for the 4th. My 3 month old neighbor baby is having heart surgery on the 3rd so things are in the air as if I will be doing babysitting for their little girl or sewing.
Thanks for the tutorial to your cute block! Our 4th plans are to have a quite time with the boys, hot dogs on the Big Green Egg, Cajun Bread Pudding, and for me, lots of sewing!!!
Happy 4th! Hope you're having fun at your retreat.
Ooh - I love the fabrics you used and I love the block too! I'm definitely going to make one, or two. :)
We are going to Gatlinburg and spend some time in the Smoky Mountains. Great block and such a fun idea to to make a one block mini quilt! Happy 4th!
Great block and thanks for the tutorial. We will do the burger and dog thing on the 4th followed by fireworks in the local park.
Please make the most of your retreat.
I love the fabrics you used in your block. We will definitely be having a barbecue for the 4th of July but not sure what else if anything we will do other than that.
Love the floral pattern choice!!
great block and tutorial.
have fun on your retreat.
a great 4th of july potholder! i am having lots of company as we celebrate our independence day, we'll spend the day downtown and around taking in all the activities planned. we'll watch the marathon [a foot race from downtown to the top of mt marathon and back down again - a world-class and world renown race, the racers are not only local, but from all over the states and world] from my backyard.
Adorable mini quilt! Plans for the 4th...have a hair appt (LOL), some quilt shopping with a friend and working on some new blocks.
This is really cute. For the Fourth, We will probably cook out on the grill and then go watch the fireworks in the park. Thanks for the giveaway.
Mary, it's a lovely block!! Fun stuff! Thanks for helping kick it all off!! :)
First...love your adorable dresses! I have 2 granddaughters and love to sew for them too..and we spend summers in Buffalo to be near them! Hope to win your adorable red, white, and blue mini quilt. Will go to Rebecca Park with the family on the 4th....fun!
I like the vintage look to your block! We are spending our 4th with family and backyard BBQ!! Happy 4th
Gmama Jane
Love your block and the fabrics you used. We plan to be home for the 4th of July. Family all coming here for a barbeque.
Cute little block. Perfect for the 4th of July. I think I'll watch fireworks from the end of the dock this year. Thanks for the chance to win.
Such a great block, Mary! Thanks for the tutorial!
Wish I could tell you I'm doing something fabulous on the 4th, but I'm not. Lol. Our relatives were just here and we had a great time, but my husband and I will have a quiet 4th together...
Hooray for the red, white and blue. Fabulous block and thank you for sharing. Fourth of July Sparklers...
Congrats on being 1st!
I will be heading out for a family camping holiday on the 4th!
Have fun at your retreat!
I love your block! We're staying at home, cooking out, and watching fireworks. Thanks for the giveaway!
What a great mini and love your fabrics. I'm not sure yet what our plans are. Spending time with my grandson is high on the list. My son is deployed in Afghanistan so his wife and son are staying close while he is away. He is my first grandchild and can't get enough of him! hehe. Have a great 4th yourself and enjoy your retreat.
Thank you for a super giveaway and a chance to win.
usairdoll(at)gmail(dot)com
Love your fabrics in this charming block!
Looking forward to celebrating my independence this year. :)
xx
What a pretty quilt. On the Fourth I'll be going to my son, daughter-in-law and granddaughters' place for lunch, swimming and fireworks. I'll be bringing chips and shrimp dip, a family recipe, which is my permanent food assignment for get-togethers. Lots of fun!
Debbie - Traveling Quilter
Beautiful fabrics in a very cute block. Plans for the 4th aren't fixed yet. Probably a quiet day at home and a trip to see the fireworks that evening.
Love your mini! Great tutorial!
On the 4th, we will be together with family, having a BBQ, & going
swimming. Thanks for the chance
to win!
HELLO! THANKS FOR THE TUTORIAL!
THIS IS A VERY STRIKINGLY BEAUTIFUL COMBINATION OF FABRICS>LOVE IT! LOVE TO WIN IT TOO! HAPPY SUMMER!
msstitcher1214@yahoo.com
Working for a party rental company means I will be working on the 4th, as most holidays. I'll eat watermelon after work. Happy quilting.
I just love the pretty fabrics you chose! I'll be at the church picnic eating a BBQ lunch!
Starting over- Thank you for the block, very pretty- and I love the red binding. We'll have our granddaughter for the weekend, she's 7 and her mom has to work all weekend. Due to the drought all firework displays are canceled but I'm a little worried that the homeowners will now shoot off their own. We're on wooded acreage and it's tinder dry. We'll be on the lookout for more fires.
The block is cute especially in RW&B.
Thanks!
Absolutely gorgeous! Love it!
colorful miniquilt. July 1 in Canada had very warm weather, bbq and author reading at library.
Aurea Gillis
Very cool! No big plans this year and that works! :)
Thank you for the tutorial. It is a fun block.. Each year we meet with a large family of friends who have adopted us as part of their family..we eat, laugh, and swim..Later in the evening we watch the fireworks over the lake. Have a great week!
Thank you for the great pattern and for the chance to win this beauty! I will probably just be staying home - still trying to recover from pneumonia.
Thanks for the great tutorial on this cute block. I am on my way to Columbia, SC with my husband this week. While he works, I'm going to be visiting the local quilt shops. :-)
Thanks for the great tutorial I just might make one. Today is Canada Day for me and we are going to see fireworks this evening. Thanks and have a great July 4th
Beautiful block, love the fabric, thanks for tutorial. I spent a quiet day with hubby watching golf and machine quilting.
Cute block! I love the fabrics too!
Thanks for the chance to win!
Love your red,white and blue block :-) We celebrate the 4th quietly at home with the dogs. It's my favorite way to celebrate. They like the hot dogs I cook :-)
Being Canadian the 4th of July is not important to me, the 1st is. That is today and I've got two of my daughters, one sil and my granddaughter visiting. We are having vegie burgers for dinner, and three different rhubarb deserts - rhubarb strawberry pie, rhubarb raspberry crisp and rhubarb mango crumble. Yum! On the 4th I'll be flying to Edmonton for a family reunion.
I love your block and fabrics! Thanks for the tutorial!
What a pretty block. Thank you for the wonderful instructions.
We aren't doing too much this 4th of July since it's in the middle of the week this year.
Have a great time at your retreat.
Great tutorial for this patriotic block. My church family is having a picnic at a member's home on the lake. We can see fireworks from there. Can't wait.
We will spend the Fourth at home as my sister is driving up to visit us. We will have fun. Thanks for the giveaway.
We will probably stay home this year. I don't believe there will be a fireworks display due to the drought. So just some cool food, cool drinks shared with my cool guy!
On the Fourth we will be home as my sister is coming to visit. I love my baby sis and this will be lots of fun. Thanks for the giveaway and your great block tutorial.
Love your block! The HST is something I've never tried before until I read your instructions and they worked great.
Thank you
Robin in Washington State
Great little block...I am so going to try to make this from your tutorial...
Thanks for a chance to win it...
Just moved to CA to be near our daughters so we are celebrating with them and their families at the BEACH, hooray. Thanks for the giveaway.
For the 4th of July we always have a BBQ with everyone in the neighborhood. The kids decorate their bikes and wagons and we have our own little parade! So cute!!! :) Thanks for the opportunity to win such a darling mini quilt!!! :)
Oh such a sweet and lovely mini-quilt!
Hugs,
Tatyana
Thanks for starting us off with a fantastic block and the tutorial to make it. Lovely!
Love your mini quilt block in red white and blue! Thanks for sharing the tute! We will be in Norway this July 4th!
Since I'm from the UK we don't celebrate 4 July, but I know just what I'll be doing that day anyway. I'll be sitting watching the tennis from Wimbledon on the TV.
Hi Mary wonderful block.....we celebrated on Sunday with a family bbq and lots of celebrating. After all we need to celebrate our freedom since so many have passed on in order to make sure we keep it....Happy holiday
As I am in Australia just glad we have the USA as our friend & ally as we fight together such as in Afghanistan. And glad that Marines are coming to Darwin. Continues our relationship in war and peace and terrorism.
Great start to the blog hop!
Thanks for the tut and the giveaway!
We plan to enjoy our town festivities: carnival, band concert, food, and fireworks.
Very nice block; I'm sure I'll be making one of those!
For the Fourth of July, I have to work in the morning (at a campground where it's hopping on holidays) but I'll be spending the afternoon with the family having an amazing July 4th BBQ.
I love your block...I am going to hide on the 4th and sew all day. I don't usually take holidays off...but I guess I am getting old...er....I'm going to celebrate with me and myself and my sewing machine. Have a great retreat!
Great red white and blue block. Our plans are to have a barbeque with family and we have extra family visiting this year. Then we will go to a concert and fireworks.
Going to an ice cream social and fireworks. Love your square -- thanks for a chance to win.
vail in tn
WOW! the fabric print is beautiful and excited to see everyone's projects! We are thinking about going to Disneyland to see the fireworks!!
Hugs,
Norma
I plan to keep cool for the 4th. Here in Mo. we are baking!!!. Ribs sounds good also. Thanks for the giveaway.
Very cute. It is always nice to be first!
We have a large family BBQ here.
Love the small quilt. Wednesday we are going to band concert(our son plays in band), watch fireworks, and then camp. Thursday we are bringing our 2 and 6 year old grands to camp with us.
Very nice hand work...and mini quilt! Happy Fourth to you!
I am working in the early morning, I am sure there will be grilling in the afternoon and sewing!
sewing
Going to watch fireworks with the hubby and kids and try to stay cool!
Very nice RWB block!
I love your block! If all goes according to plan, we'll be spending the day kayaking, picnicing, and watching fireworks!
We see fireworks on the 3rd of July. On the 4th we stay home with a very scared dog.
We go to my husbands house and all sit on the porch. We have food family and fireworks. I would love your mini-quilt it is so cute!
We are planning on taking my 10 yr. old son for a mini stay-cation and spend the day toodling about some of the small towns around us. We are going do to a "Flat-Stanley" as we explore what is offered while taking part in an old-fashion picnic. We will be watching fireworks and then after our great adventure we shall meander on home and with luck have some wonderful pictures to share with the rest of the family. Thank You for the tutorial and the wonderful chance to win your pretty mini. If I win, I plan let me son have it for his "Flat-Stanley" album and collection.
Tricia
That's a lovely block. Our 4th will be quiet...just the three of us...something yummy to eat, prayers for this nation, a reading of the Declaration of Independence, and patriotic music. Then, out on the town to see whatever fireworks are being done at the ball field. It's always interesting. Thank you, Mary.
cute little block Mary - thanks for the tutorial :)
Lovely block Mary. Hope your retreat is wonderful. :)
Jen
I am going up to Claremont, CA where my daughter lives to watch the local parade with my granddaughters Ilika and Annika. Anyone can join in and bike or walk or scooter along with local politicians, school bands etc...it's not small town USA but it feels like it! Hope you have a great 4th, I love the block Mary!
Hi Mary,
Can't wait to see you in a few days! I love anything red , white, and blue...anything! My plans for tomorrow are to start my drive to Minnesota. We go to my BIL's house to spend the night and watch teh fireworks this year, since he is so close to where our retreat is!
Hubby and I are flying to NJ on the 4th to attend my family's first reunion in 15 years! I will be meeting some relatives for the first time, looking forward to it!
I've always really liked the Formal Garden block, and you've really made it something special here!
My plans for the 4th are small: I took the day off work to hang out with Mr. Wonderful. He made huge bowls of potato salad and cole slaw yesterday so we just have to make a sammich or grill something today.
Oh, and I'm going to make 8 Japanese Knot Bags out of some stinkin' adorable sheep fabric to give to my knitting group.
My Honeyman has to work :( So I am here at home with the kids catching up on my blog reading :) and stitchin (But now I have a glass of wine, so the rotary cutter has been put to bed for the night LOL)
Love your block. I am going to makes several.
Great block Mary, love the hand stitching. They say it is better late than never...so here I am...late!!
Post a Comment