It's 62" by 80" and was all rotary cut (not using a template) and machine pieced. The majority of the fabrics are DS Quilts from Joann Fabrics. The solid is Moda Bella Ice and is showing mostly white on these photos.
I took a class in September with Jacquie Gering of Tallgrass Prairie Studio. She taught us how to cut our hexagons with a 60 degree ruler and how to piece be machine. Yes, I am now a y-seam expert now! But I enjoyed the entire process and will be making more.You might want to see our sweet grandchildren dressed for Halloween:
Vince in the caterpillar costume I made for him.
And sweet little Audrey as the pink butterfly (I purchased all but the antennae headband)! Audrey stayed overnight with us Friday until Saturday evening and we had the best time. She has renamed my sewing room: it is now "Audrey's Room"!!

28 readers left a comment:
Okay, well first of all, the grandchildren are totally adorable. I just want to cuddle them. Second, I love your hexie quilt! I don't mind y-seams at all. They aren't that bad. I'm doing a quilt now that is all y-seams. Yours lays really nice. Good job! I'm jealous you got to take a class from Jackie. That would be a whole lot of fun!
Love your hexie quilt! It is gorgeous! And the grandbabies are adorable! So cute! I love their costumes!
Cheery wave from
Bev
Oh my gosh - love the cotumes - and the boots do set off the tu-tu! Wonderful Hexie quilt and kudo's on all those Y-seams!
How cute, both little ones...
Love your hexies!
Adorable children in adorable costumes :-) Your hexagon quilt is amazing Mary!
Adorable grandkiddies. LOVE your DS hexies. I have seen them machine pieced before and it may be the only way I ever make one. I don't hand piece. :o) How great you could take the class.
It looks wonderful. I so want to try machine piecing a hexagon quilt top with large hexis. I think it is in my quilt bucket list. You did a great jib and the colors look wonderful I am sure it is even better in person.
Your grandbabies are darling!
I love your Hexie Quilt, how lucky were you to take a class with Jackie. Have fun quilting your top.
Oh my, how cutie are the little ones!...
Love the hex quilt top, rotary cut and machine pieced...beautiful job...
Julia ♥
Love your hexi quilt... wow.. very impressed! And the grandchildren are so sweet.. could just eat up the little green bug!
This is a lovely quilt. The colours are gorgeous. Good luck with the quilting.
And your Grandies are adorable!
Such adorable grandchildren and costumes. I made a spider costume for one grandson and the other went as Captain America. Oh I love the hexagon quilt (was it difficult) it is beautiful and I will look forward to seeing it quilted.
The hexie quilt is just fabulous! Love the blues.
Those little ones are darling. I love the green caterpillar costume. Soooo cute!
Your hex quilt is beautiful and truly a labor of love. Such adorable little ones in their costumes. Blessings...
Love this quilt, think I said so on Instagram but stopped by here too. I am working on a English PP one that will take me forever I am sure. But I am happily basting and making flowers every evening so I am feeling like I am making progress.
The kiddies are so darn cute!
I love all of the blues! I can't wait to see the finish!
The grandchildren are adorable. And I'm definitely going to try machine sewing a hexie quilt some time. Maybe in July...
Love the pictures of the grandchildren. That costume you made is AMAZING! So...is the hexagon quilt! Great job!
Vince and Audrey are adorable!!!
And, your quilt is stunning, Mary.
Beautiful hexes - the fabric choices are so soft and lovely!
And CUTE grandkids! My goodness…!
oh, your little caterpillar is gorgeous....!!!
And your pretty pink butterfly too.....
I love the hexie quilt , you have done a wonderful job.
I'm doing mine EEP.
Love the butterfly and caterpiller grandchildren!
The quilt is breathtaking. And oh my gosh...the kids are adorable. Sweetness!
I was loving your hexie quilt... I always wanted to make that pattern. Then I saw your trick or treaters... your grandchildren are so adorable!!!
Looks great Mary!
Well, I'm just crazy over your Hexi quilt Mary!! I don't mind doing y seams but a lot of people shy away it. Just look at your great new treasure!!
Your little green bug and pink fairy would fit right in here....with me........sure you don't want to share??? HA!
They are just w-a-y too cute for words!!
I like your new blog header too!
Your whole post is full of eye candy! The quilts, the kids (love the caterpillar costume)...*happy sigh*
Lovely reading your interview on Stephanie's blog! And oh, the little caterpillar really made me SMILE!
Post a Comment