Tutorials

Saturday, December 12, 2009

Eight, Nine, Ten - Big Fat Hen??

  • My EIGHT foot tree is very unhappy with her skirt...so
  • I got out my NINE degree ruler
  • and TEN fat quarters of Roman Holiday
And what did I end up with (so far)?  Not a Big Fat Hen, I hope!

Here is my new tree skirt all quilted with NO binding.


  Nothing in the house that could possibly work.  I used up all of the red and green Roman Holiday.  So what fabric color/design would you go out and look for to bind this Big Fat Hen?  Help??  Click on the second photo to get a better idea of the colors.


23 readers left a comment:

PiecefulChaos said...

White.

Abby and Stephanie said...

Very pretty! I think perhaps white or cream.

Betsy said...

Mary red with polka dots would be festive. I wish you would have told me you needed a skirt since I have a pattern I made for one though yours is perfect!

Pat said...

I think all the above suggestions are good. As much as I like green, I'd not use green....but their other ideas are great. I need a new tree skirt..maybe next year. *sigh*

Bunny said...

I think it is beautiful and if you had enough stripe or dot fabric it would look fantastic.

Trudi said...

My immediate thoughts were for white or an ivory looking at the other fabrics. It's lovely. I need to make a tree skirt, I don't have one!

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Cream is my choice. Was it really hard to make?? I would love to make a tree skirt next year AND are the instructions included with the ruler??

Nancy said...

I vote for cream also...it wouldn't detract from the design of the skirt...It's very pretty...

shellysquilts said...

Very cute! Well done!

Apple Avenue Quilts said...

I would choose red. Lovely skirt!

Janet said...

It's great Mary. I'd try a red or cream against it to see what you like.

Aunt Spicy said...

White. And I am dying over how cute it is!

szkornelia said...

I am voting for cream. I think it would work nicely with these colors and patterns. By the way I love the skirt, I am sure it would be really lovely.

Marianne Penner said...

I think cream would be perfect. Such a cute tree skirt!

Anina said...

Cute!
I'd go for red with polka dots.

Carrie P. said...

That is awesome so far. You are so smart.

karen @ badlandsquilts said...

I think cream would be easiest to match, however if you are really particular I know www.dakotacabinquilts.com (store near my parents in ND) still has some roman holiday including wovens in stock...

karen @ badlandsquilts said...

I forgot so say how neat this looks... I think I'm going to have to invest in one of those rulers!

fabricartist21 said...

Telling all bloggers I am having a huge giveaway on my blog this month and will add a new item everyday. Go check it out.

Ariane said...

I love it!!! It looks great. I would use a red or a cream. You could even finish it off with a pompom trim in one of those colors. Or a really big ric-rac trim. This is so my style. I am going to have to make one next year. No time to get one done for this year. Thanks for sharing.

Cathy @ CabbageQuilts said...

I'd go red with white polka dots too! Can't wait to see what you decide, it's gorgeous no matter what you choose (just read Ariane's comment, a pom pom trim would look fabulous too!). xo

trish said...

Good Morning.
I am dropping by via V and Co. to say Congratulations on your win! :o)
Your tree skirt is gorgeous!!
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Amanda Jean said...

that is GORGEOUS!!! did you figure out a binding yet? i think it screams for a red polka dot binding, personally.