I am all finished with my Geese in the Forrest designed by Anina of Twittletails! Thanks for the great design Anina! It was quite the process and I am so happy with the results. I did the whole quilt from start to finish by myself.
I was not sure about borders or quilting, so I took my time. I decided on red Ta Dot from Michael Miller and then darkest green in the quilt with solid red binding.
For quilting, I stitched in the ditch around all 429 geese with red, green and white variegated thread, then also around the red dot border and finally three rows of green in the outside border fabric. And then I quit!
And here is the final finished quilt. Zoom in to see how crinkly sweet it is after washing and drying!
For those of you who have followed this Geese in the Forrest progress, you may remember that I had 46 blocks that were the wrong size and I needed to make them over. Well, here is how I used them - on the quilt back!

52 readers left a comment:
I love your quilt! It's gorgeous!
46 blocks of the WRONG SIZE!?!?! OMG...What a great way to use them. I love this quilt, Mary! Is this one for you to keep?
Love the dots, the perfect addition. That is a lot of geese and I bet alot of thread, too!
That is GORGEOUS. I love it. What a great job you have done.
Superb use of those 46 blocks.
I LOVE IT!!!! I so want one of these, but I know I'll never do it... (me and patterns don't play nice together) Love your borders, MARY!!!~
Mary you did a terrific job. I followed you through the whole process and your final finish was worth the wait.
Beautiful quilt! And what a great way to use up those wrong-sized blocks! :0)
wow!!!! you did a fantastic job!!!! i love those Michael Miller red Ta Dot, looks so perfect!!!
What a fabulous quilt Mary, definately a keeper! Now I want one too!
It's gorgeous...all 429 flying geese are a sight to behold...
Um...I really can't see all the crinkly goodness, could you send it over to Missouri....you know, just so I could see all it's glory... I promise (fingers crossed) to send it back...
Oh wow! I love the polka dot border. Congratulations Mary!
Your quilt is beautiful. I like the blocks on the back too. Good work!
I love it! It turned out great and I think what you did on the back is perfect.
What a wonderful quilt! It's really charming. And putting the off blocks on the back is a great idea. Just found your blog by following a link from the Quilting Pirate.
WOW WEEEEEEE! It is fantastic!!! Love it! Well done!
This quilt is just gorgeous!
Well done and a perfect backing!
Your quilt is beautiful. It is very festive for this time of year coming up.
I love your red and white polka dot you chose as border. It make the geese stand out that much more. Great job!
Incredible, Mary! What determination stitching in all of those ditches! Well done!!!
Cheers!
Mary, I remember the posting where you asked ideas on how to quilt this quilt. Your quilting turned out so nice and the finished quilt is gorgeous. I always wanted to make one of these quilts, but I am not sure if I will get to it. Have a nice weekend!
Great job!! It's a gorgeous quilt...just the perfect fabrics and beautiful quilting! I love the red polka dot.
Love the quilt. The red polka dot border really makes it zing
Love and hugs Gina xx
Wow! You did a fantastic job on the quilt. I zoomed in on the first picture to see your quilting and did notice the variegated thread. Very nice.
Great idea for the back. No waste there!
Mary,
This is amazing. The polka dots really set it all off. I have 12 blocks complete and this really makes me want to get moving on it. Great work!
Nice Quilt!! Wow you are so ambitious, I probably would have tried to figure a way to put all those blocks on the front.
Wow, wow, wow!
That is gorgeous. Love the polka dot border!
Great job.
Kimberly :)
absolutely FABULOUS and congrats on STICKING WITH IT! I did two months and quit...wish I had stayed with it. Your quilt is gorgeous!
Mary, I really love your quilt.. everything about it. You did a perfect job picking out the borders, especially that red and white polka dot. LOVE that! What a treasure!
Mary, your quilt is fabulous. Congratulations for hanging in there and making those 46 blocks again. I downloaded the patterns, but have not started any blocks yet. Seeing your finished quilt really energizes me to get going!
Okay, I think I may be losing my mind Mary. I remember looking at your quilt. I think I was a bit rushed, so thought I would come back later. Hmm. I cannot remember if I did or not, so no harm telling you I love it (even if it may be for the second time). Puts me in the mood for the season...great finish!
WOW! Seriously, WOW. It is beautiful!
Mary! Your quilt is amazing!! I love how you quilted it and used your oppsie blocks in the back! Great finish :)
Fabulous ..... love it all, even the blocks on the back! Perfect and just in time for the holiday season...
Totally Fab - congrats on creating something so marvelous!
-- EdaMommy
Oh Wow Mary, what an incredible quilt, amazing. I love those geese and that red dot in the border makes it all zing. And more geese on the backing...fabulous xo
I love this quilt you made! My eye doesn't stop moving over the quilt. What a great idea for the backing. It's like two quilts in one. Cool Beans!
simply incredible! love it! Especially the ta dot!
soooo pretty!
You did a spectacular job, Mary! It is gorgeous. And the borders are just perfect. And so smart to use those oops blocks on the back... a very cool surprise! Congratulations on an awesome finish!
this looks amazing-- congratulations! the back is awesome too :)
I love it! Well done, give yourself a big pat on the back.
I love it! That red and white polka dot fabric looks so great in it.
That is so beautiful, I hope you enjoy looking at your hard work. The red border looks wonderful.
Beautiful! This is simply stunning! What motivation you've provided. Thank you! I just love the red dots, such nice work!
Congratulations! Your quilt is fabulous!
THIS IS FABULOUS!!!!!! I'm new to your blog and I LOVE this quilt. It inspires me to do another one and actually finish all the blocks. I made three or four months worth and then just put them together and called it quits. YOU DID SOOOOOO GREAT!!!! LOVE IT!!!!
It's gorgeous! Congratulations on finishing it -- I ran out of steam on Block 3. Maybe I'll be inspired to finish???
Love the quilt and the back is perfect! What a cheery look for the holidays!
STOP IT! The front and back are both stunning! Oh, I do love this quilt!
Hey Mary,
I'm way behind with my Reader, but I had to tell you the polka dot border is just perfect. I love the contrast of the circles with the triangles. Great choice!
All the best,
Dana
Love the quilt!!! I have all of Twiddletails geese posts saved in my bloglines just in case I ever did the quilt. Now, to see yours all finished is very inspiring!
oh this is just adorable!
love the polka dots around the border.
this is a quilt I am sorry i didn't make when everyone was making it, may have to do it for next year.
love the look of the solids just a great quilt
congrats for finishing it
kathie
Wow!! Congratulations! It is lovely! I have mine in the list to be done as well with the same fabrics... hope it will look as good as yours!
love
marta
Post a Comment